Moving Tips: Make Your Move Easy
Planning is the key to a successful move. If you plan in advance and take your time preparing, your move will avoid being hectic and chaotic, and you actually will be able to enjoy your new place sooner.
Another important factor is to follow the rules of thumb and advice outlined below: these are well known techniques to ease your relocation.
- 1. Make sure you ask your potential mover if they are insured: standard insurance should be built into the price and they should not be charging for it.
- 2. Make sure you understand their pricing: whether it's a flat rate (do they charge by piece?), or hourly rate.
- 3. Find out about their cancelation policy: you never know what life will throw at you.
- 4. Ask for a contact person's name and phone number on the move day.
- 5. Ask if there are additional charges for large or heavy items, such as pianos, big screen TV's, etc.
- 6. Also, inquire if the rates are the same for regular weekdays and weekends, and if there are charges for flights of stairs.
- 7. Ask if your movers charge for the travel time from their office to your location, and back to their office.
- 8. Ask your moving consultant for tips and advice to make your relocation easier and less stressful.
- 9. Ask about minimum time and charges (2, 3, 4 hours?)
- 10. Inquire if your moving company offers packing/unpacking services.
- 11. Book your moving date and time as early as possible, preferably, 2-4 weeks in advance.
- 12. Avoid placing items from different rooms into same boxes: it might be a nightmare during unpacking stage.
- 13. Use wardrobe boxes to pack your clothes.
- 14. Use small boxes (medium, if you really have to) for your books: boxes get heavy fast!
- 15. Have larger appliance's manuals: see if there are any special moving instructions, or how to disconnect/hook them up later.
- 16. Stack dishes upwards when packing.
- 17. Never pack important documents with other belongings: make a separate box, and consider carrying it yourself.
- 18. General rule of thumb: small boxes for heavy items, medium and large - for lighter ones.
- 19. Although used boxes can save you money, you do not know if they are strong enough to be used again. Try to avoid using them, and if you do, do not put anything fragile in them.
- 20. Do not get rid of any of your children items: children can take moving extremely hard, and missing their favorite toys will not make it any easier.
- 21. Label all the boxes on top and the sides, it will make unpacking easier and smoother.
- 22. Use packing tape instead of duct tape.
- 23. Electronics should be packed in their original boxes. If unavailable, use bubble wrap to protect it.
- 24. Items that you do not use on a daily basis should be packed in advance, as early as possible.
- 25. Remember: laws prohibit moving companies from transporting hazardous and explosive items, such as gasoline, ammunition and explosives.
- 26. Pack a box with the items you will need right after the move, and make sure you know where it is before your movers leave.
- 27. Do not interlock the tops of your boxes: always tape them.
- 28. Clean attic, basement and other non-frequently used areas as soon as you find out you are moving.
- 29. Use special boxes when packing fine china and clothes.
- 30. Stay positive: every ending is a new beginning. Although moving may be stressful, if you plan ahead and use these simple moving tips, you will be able to enjoy your new residence much quicker.