Let's face it - moving can be a very exciting, yet not the most pleasant experience in the world. You probably are excited about relocating to a new residence, but dread of a thought about all the headaches that come with moving.
That's why it is important to plan in advance for your move. Start planning early. Do not leave everything for the last minute. Planning is the key to a successful and stress-free moving experience.
Use the following moving checklist to ease your move day, and avoid unnecessary stress and confusion on your move day.
4 Weeks before Your Move
- Do your shopping for a moving company as soon as you finalize your moving date. Booking your movers 4 weeks in advance will ensure you get a quality mover for the date and time you prefer.
- Purchase all necessary packing supplies. You can also have a moving company do that for you. In this case, you will not need any moving supplies.
- Start cleaning your attic, garage, basement, and similar areas.
- Get rid of unwanted items: donate to charity and/or arrange a garage sale.
- Make arrangements to transfer school records.
- Visit your local Postal Office and get Change of Address cards. This can also be done online at USPS website.
- Notify your bank(s), mortgage company, car finance company, magazines, newspapers, insurance companies and other organizations of your move date.
- Owner's manual for all your appliances will be very helpful, if possible to obtain, on your move day. If you do not have them, try finding and printing them out online. Use a search engine to locate the manuals.
1-2 Weeks before Your Move
- Set aside cleaning items you will need to do final cleaning when the movers leave your premises. You can also inquire your moving service provider if they provide cleaning services, or hire an independent cleaner if you do not want to clean your old house yourself.
- If you are packing yourself, label all the boxes with room names to make sure they are placed where they belong to. Clearly mark all the boxes and containers on top and the sides. This will make your settling into your new home easier.
- Contact your electricity, gas, water, phone and cable companies and make disconnection arrangements. Request return of deposits, if applicable, and schedule connection of all the services at your new residence. It is a good idea to leave the phone service on until the next day of your move.
The Week of Your Move
- Mail your change of address forms.
- Clean your stove.
1 Day before Your Move
- Clean your refrigerator; do not forget to defrost and dry.
- Have some cash on hand.
- If your neighbors were nicer than pain in the butt, do not forget to say Goodbye!
Have a safe move!