How to Choose a Moving Company and Not Regret Later
I am quite sure you don't want to sleep on a ripped mattress with a scratched headboard, or watch your brand new LCD with half of the screen broken at the end of your relocation. Also, missing your grandmother's jewelry or some valuable pictures by the time your movers are gone doesn't exactly fit your plans. And, finally, having to negotiate till the morning to get your prescription medicine back in return of a cash payment twice as high as quoted before your move is never good for your blood pressure and overall well-being.
All this can be avoided by following couple very simple steps. All it takes is to spend more than two minutes of your time before choosing your mover. Did you buy your furniture after three minutes of consideration? If not, why would you choose to risk with all of your property by hiring a moving company which might use day labor, yet sounds very promising on the phone?
Below you will find several tips on how to choose your mover responsibly and not to fall for a moving company that will tear down your house and make you regret you decided to move in the first place.
- First impression still counts: this is a very basic and straight forward advice, but do not go with a mover that sounds rude on the phone. After all, chances are you will have to spend most of the day, if not all day, with him, and you have to feel comfortable. Moving is stressful enough already, and there is no need to complicate your life even more by dealing with a rude and impatient crew, especially when there are lots of better options out there.
- Make sure all your questions are answered with patience and depth level you want: as you probably heard countless times from your professors in a college, there are no stupid questions. Make sure every of them are responded to in a polite and informative manner. This is a good indicator not only of your mover's expertise, but also gives an idea on their way of dealing with the customers.
- Get three to four moving quotes: talk to 3 -4 moving companies before making a decision. Do not overdo it talking to every mover in town, but also do not hire your movers without having 3 or 4 estimates. 3/4 is a good number to make an informed decision.
- Do not fall for the lowest price: this will sound very banal, but if something sounds too good to be true, it is! There might be additional charges, the level of moving services might be off - there can be many reasons for a low price. Remember: as with any good or service, there are different fixed and variable costs associated with maintaining a good level of service and customer satisfaction, and do not expect to receive a top notch service for pennies. After all, you get what you pay for.
- Choose a moving company with a price which falls between the highest and lowest ones: this way, you will not be overpaying, but also can expect good level of moving service.
- Avoid movers on Craigslist: although Craigslist is a very informative and helpful resource, if possible, stay away from people who advertise their moving service there. I find many people who have been fired from reputable moving companies advertising on Craigslist, and believe me, you do not want them in your house.
- A website can be a very good indicator of whom you are dealing with: the website has to be informative, good looking and professional, with good wording and to answer most of your questions without even speaking to a representative. A rule of thumb is that if a "company" does not maintain a proper website at this age and time, they do not take their business, and most likely, their customers as well, seriously.
- Make sure you compare apples to apples: there are different pricing structures out there. In most states, it is illegal to offer a flat rate for local moves. If you get one, make sure they outline every single charge, or get a contract (or an email) stating all the charges, surcharges, fees and taxes. Same thing with the hourly rate: lowest hourly rate does not mean the lowest price at the end of the move. Make sure you understand your mover's policy on packing supplies (such as shrink wrap and blankets to protect your furniture), gas and fuel surcharges, and overtime rates. Also, keep in mind that your moving cost can be higher with a mover who charges $50/hr but is much slower than a company that charges $80/hr but is much more experienced and works faster and more efficiently.
In conclusion, simply use your common sense. Do not use the cheapest moving company. In this case, you might be better off just renting a moving truck and doing it yourself. Make sure you feel comfortable with the person you talk to. And if you use your common sense, are well prepared for your moving day and stay positive, chances are your moving experience will be much brighter than you could have expected.
Milestone Relocation Solutions is a trusted moving company serving all major cities in the US. If you are looking for movers in Atlanta, Washington movers, movers in Charlotte, movers in Raleigh, NC, or a mover in any other city, contact us and get a free, no obligation moving quote.
Milestone Encourages Wildlife Preservation!
Decisions made today will have far-reaching effects on which plants and animals survive into the future.
Yet decision makers are not hearing enough voices calling for protection of the natural systems on which all life depends.
Milestone Relocation Announces $199 Moving Special
$199 Moving Special includes 2 professional movers with a moving truck, all the professional equipment and labor for up to 2 hours.
Milestone Is to Create 40-90 Jobs in 2011
January 04, 2011 -- Milestone Relocation Solutions, a national household goods moving company, announced today of its plans to hire between 20 and 30 new crews in the states of Florida, Georgia and Washington DC in 2011.
Milestone Relocation Solutions Launches a New Website
February 02, 2011 – Milestone Relocation Solutions™, a national household goods moving company, launches a new updated website, which is easier to navigate and allows moving customers to find relevant information quicker and easier.
Get $50 Back Once the Move Is Completed
Once your move is completed and you are fully satisfied with our service, make sure you receive your $50 back!
We are commited to providing excellent overall moving experience to our customers. We have highly knowledgeable moving consultants to answer all your questions before your move; dispatchers that are available on your move day; and in case something goes wrong, we will always be here to address any issues that may have appeared.